Montag, 13. Februar 2012

One Man`s Trash is Another Man`s Treasure.



For those of you who are dying to hear about my trip so far, here it goes. I have settled into life now and had the most peculiar interaction at the local school... of French...

I walk up to the building, and as I open the doors, there`s these like industrial vinyl construction curtains.... Were they trying to throw me off here? Was I just supposed to casually walk through like everyone else presumable did... I was a bit intrigued as to what was in store next. And boy was I right. We walked up some stairs to the main desk.. Yet again my last name was spelled wrong, so it took thrice as long.. We are instructed to go up to the second floor into one of the "classrooms"... Class had already started, of course, so we walked into the middle of the lesson. Great. The teacher could speak very little English, and explained to me that their class had been running for Five Months. Yes, five. months. No pressure. Just join a class where everyone knows each other and stuff. No big deal. So I had the choice to leave right then and there, orrrr sit through a two hour class and "try it out". Of course the looks and gestures were "go for it" and " why don`t you just try", and " I don`t understand English". So I sat through the class. Evidentially, the class took a short break an hour into and my teacher proceeded to tell me I could leave if I so chose. Awkward. But I had no choice. I was getting picked up promptly in two hours. So I stayed, and apparently all of the au pàir`s, classmates, were like 23/24... hmm.. I am still pondering this mystery. My favourite parts of being in the classroom was the very pungent smell of who knows what... there were no males in the classroom so I was ever more confused. It was like a hint of cheese mixed with stale sweat. Another favourite part was when she actually called on me to pronounce words and sentences. Yep. All eyes staring at you, with a look of confusion and disgust. Doesn`t get more international that that. Actually, the class time went by really quickly. And as soon as I was done, I booked it. Well I have never walked, or thought I walked so fast in who knows how long- but in reality it was more of a saunter.

1 Kommentar: